Posts Tagged ‘question’

Q&A: How long is normal for a lawyer to respond to your question?

by taminator

Question by Info Sponge: How long is normal for a lawyer to respond to your question?
I am in a case based on contingency.
My original lawyer was fab and I slept well at night knowing that he was taking care of things.
He left the company and started his own firm.
The office seems overwhelmed since he left. I can go months without any correspondance, and all correspondance is based on me asking.
At first I gave them the benefit of the doubt and assumed the whole time that they were working on my case, but when I beg for an update I pretty much realize that nothing has happened.
I had to remind them five weeks ago that the statute of limitations was coming up. They filed for an extension.
I haven’t spoken to my “offical lawyer” for over a year. The three times I’ve asked for a conferance call, all-of-a-sudden my lawyer has been changed.
It’s too late and expensive to change firms at this point. It’s hard to get out of a contingency agreement (40%). They are actually a good firm but understaffed. They keep telling me that they can’t respond because they will be travelling for court.
Because of the time frame, I’ve had to take the bull by the horns and do my own research, hire my own para-legal, do my own asset search, research medical journals, secure witnesses, and so on.
I’m not interested in harrassing them, I’m only interested in settling my case as fast and as efficiently as possible.

Considering that we have only 9 weeks to file suit: The last email they sent me was three weeks ago. It was to say that they will be in trial on another case.
I’ve sent an email about every ten days asking to arrange a conferance call and asking if they have the lab results to send me. I’ve only been able to speak to them on the phone once in 12 months. It’s been three weeks since an email reply.
I’ve never been in a civil case before (hopefully will never have to again).
Is this normal or am I being too polite slash screwed?

Best answer:

Answer by jsmack19
Go to their office. Correspondence should be returned within 48 hours.

Give your answer to this question below!

2 comments - What do you think?  Posted by - March 27, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Categories: Trial Lawyers   Tags: , , , ,

Q&A: Divorce question, please HELP?

by publicenergy

Question by Amanda: Divorce question, please HELP?
I am so confused, my husband wants a divorce…
We have two children together and he says I “go out” too much. Except for my “going out” is running errands that I’m unable to do during the day with two small children.
He wont talk to me. Of all things he sent me a text message telling me I need to find a good divorce lawyer. I’m so confused about what to do, I thought things were great but I guess I was totally wrong. What am I supposed to do? Also everything in this house is his, including the kids. He told me to pack my sh*t and leave.
Please HELP me.
No prenup, he’s too tired when he gets off work to help with the errands….
why would this be fake? people its called sarcasm…. he says evrything in our house is “his” including our kids.

Best answer:

Answer by altaduo
First,talk to a lawyer b4 you do anything and did you have a prenuptial agreement? If not,you may have rights to much of the property despite the name on the bill of sale.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

10 comments - What do you think?  Posted by - March 14, 2011 at 1:11 am

Categories: Divorce Lawyer   Tags: , , ,

Question about Immigration form I-751 (fees)?

by kleer001

Question by imdraculasgirl: Question about Immigration form I-751 (fees)?
I entered the USA as a conditional permanent resident in April ’08 and paid over $ 2000 for an immigration lawyer to take care of the entire process. It was agreed that this fee would cover my entire application from beginning to end.
However, today I received a letter from U.S.C.I.S informing me that I need to send off the form I-751 to remove the conditions of my residence. When I looked online to see exactly what this entailed, I was shocked to see a $ 545 “filing fee” associated with submitting this form.
As usual, my lawyer is away from the office for the holidays, so I am unable to get in touch with him, and I wondered if any one on here knows if I still need to pay this fee, or whether my lawyer would have this covered with the initial amount I paid him for my application.
Surely to God I don’t need to pay this $ 545 in addition to the $ 2000+ I paid my lawyer to DO all this for me??
Thanks in advance.

Best answer:

Answer by Sally S
well u surely need to pay the $ 545 fee n process the application all over again cause u r dealing with the immigration or unless u wanted to be as an illegal person…i think ur lawyer had ripped u off big time …if u do have a receipt from ur lawyer Y not send it in with a letter, telling them about the situation and have prove on it maybe u might not have to pay the fee mention.good luck.

What do you think? Answer below!

5 comments - What do you think?  Posted by - March 2, 2011 at 1:12 am

Categories: Immigration Lawyer   Tags: , , , , ,

HELP! Workers Comp hearing question? I’m at MMI and my hearing is tomorrow.?

Question by kitkat: HELP! Workers Comp hearing question? I’m at MMI and my hearing is tomorrow.?
I just spoke with my lawyer. My hearing is tomorrow and both the IME doctor and my doctor are saying two different things.

The IME doctor says that I am a Scheduled Loss of Use and my doctor is saying that I am a permanent partial classification.

The lawyer said that tomorrow they will stop my payments and have to do an “over the phone” deposition of both doctors to come to a conclusion.

He also said that “classification” is usually a back injury and so he doubts that the judge will rule in favor of the classification which will end up with me having no money whatsoever after they deduct what I was already given.


How can my doctor put me at a permanent partial classification if this is not usually given for arms, and how can I fight to get it???

I want compensation for all the money I haven’t been able to recieve at my former job due to this injury.

Will my lawyer fight for me??? Is there something else I can do to help my case???
My injury is both arms bi lateral epicondylitis, both operated on. Both still have symptoms.
I am a permanent partial disability.
New York State

Best answer:

Answer by kitkat
Work Comp laws change depending on state so without state nobody can give you specifics on what your entitled to besides your doctor. So im just going to clarify a few items for you. You need to work with your attorney and doctor and have him address the specifics for your injury and state. Ok first of all an IME doctor is always going to minimize your injuries. He works for the insurance company. Second the “classification” your doctor gave you is not necissarily wrong simply because it is usually reserved for back injuries. In most states your temporary partial or temporary total disability payments will stop as soon as you reach max medical improvement OR 52 weeks. Once you reach max medical improvement you can still be entitled to benefits in some cases. Such as a job counselor helping you actively look for work, retraining periods, or restrictions your current employer can NOT work around but has not made a decision on wether or not to retain you as an employee. These are not temporary disability payments so do not fall under the same criteria or heading and you may wish to talk to your attorney about it. Your lawyer should be fighting for you. However he is not a mind reader and will have to bring concerns up to him before he can help you. You are more than likely not his only case so be persistant. If there are things you can do to help your case he will advice you. Unfortunately work comp cases take a long time to settle in most cases and the insurance companies for work comp are known to be jerks. Its an uphill battle both ways and most laws favor the insurance company versus the injured party. Good luck on your case.

What do you think? Answer below!

1 comment - What do you think?  Posted by - January 7, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Categories: Workers Comp Lawyers   Tags: , , , , ,

I just asked a lawyer question and why do people say it isn’t fun?

by iNkMan_

Question by jbells13: I just asked a lawyer question and why do people say it isn’t fun?
ok, first of all i hope the people who answered my first question see this. I love to read so that isn’t hard AT ALL for me. On top of that, my mother is a lawyer and NO, i don’t watch those idiotic shows on the television that provide people with all the WRONG information about what being a criminal lawyer is all about….so NO i won’t be in for a “rude awakening” puhhh-leazze….gimme a break!!

Best answer:

Answer by Rick B
Why didn’t you post this as a comment or edit to your original question? Most of us have no idea what you are talking about.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

2 comments - What do you think?  Posted by - January 5, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Categories: Criminal Lawyer   Tags: , , , , ,

Workers Comp question?

Question by chuck j: Workers Comp question?
Back in July I injured my back pretty bad and have been off work since. BWC has been paying my benefits without question and so far so good. I go in October for a pretty major surgery, Doc wants to remove a rib and place a titanium cage in my back along with a few other things. This is my second surgery at the age of 32, first was a microdiskotomy on my lower back. The doc told me when I saw him last that I will not be returning to this job nor this type of work ever again and I’m on permeant restrictions. So what does this exactly mean, do I get retrained? I talked to a lawyer today and he basicaly told me that BWC would have to retrain me for a job that I can do but still make the same money per hour I was making the time of injury, $ 17.50. Do I go to school to be “retrained”? Also since I am in such bad shape, do I have the option of sewing my employer for my injury, or emotional distress for a life long injury or back problem?

Best answer:

Answer by shroomigator
Yes you can be retrained, but you don’t have to accept it. they will pay for all your retraining. You can always sue your employer, for your injury and for pain and suffering.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

Be the first to comment - What do you think?  Posted by - January 4, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Categories: Workers Comp Lawyers   Tags: , ,

Gas Station Business Question. Lawyers help?

Question by Lucker: Gas Station Business Question. Lawyers help?
So in the next few years the gas pumps are to be changed so that they are credit card chip friendly. Replacing the old pumps will cost $ 20,000 each. If I am the owner of the gas station (business only). Who is responsible for replacing these pumps that will cost $ 100,000 to replace in total? Me or the landlord? My landlord is a heartless and unreasonable guy who won’t pay. I do not even own this property, just the business. He expects me to pay $ 100,000 for the pumps then when I sell the business, I sell it for the same price that I bought it. Basically I’d be throwing in $ 100,000 down the drain! Whose responsible for “upgrading” these? If it’s the landlord, can I sue him if he doesn’t?

Best answer:

Answer by Jessica
In the US, the business owner is responsible for the upgrades. Why would the landlord be responsible? If you don’t want to pay, then don’t upgrade, and people will choose to use another station that will be easier to use.

Add your own answer in the comments!

Be the first to comment - What do you think?  Posted by - January 2, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Categories: Business Lawyer   Tags: , , , ,

Next Page »